I've heard from some people lately who think that the "glamorous" part of real estate -- you know, the part you see on TV -- is all we do all day long.
Show a luxury home, get our nails done, have lunch with girlfriends and go to closing to pick up a big, fat commission check and a Martini.
Pardon me while I laugh out loud.
That thought prompted me to keep a log -- for just one day -- of the dozens of tiny details that buzz around in a Realtor's head throughout the morning, afternoon and evening hours. Here's a recap of many -- not all -- of my real estate-related activities over the past 24 hours:
- Checked to see if a buyer's lender can fund earlier than our contracted closing date.
- Called a buyer's agent to check on her buyer's inspection response.
- Communicated with my transaction manager about a pending short sale listing awaiting lender approval.
- Talked with a customer who wanted to know why a big, national lender hadn't listed a home it acquired via foreclosure several months ago. Called the REO office of the lender. Transferred around only to find out that the asset was no longer in their system. No advice about where to check next. Told the potential buyer the bad news. Added the property to my watch list.
- Sent a new buyer to one of my favorite lenders for pre-qualification.
- Texted a seller just to say "hello" and keep in touch.
- Chatted with another good, local lender about a buyer I sent to them last week. Yes, they got the pre-qualification letter! Now we can look at houses.
- Added showings on one of my listings to our online feeback system so I can tell my seller anything significant about the showing if the buyer's agent responds.
- Chatted with a buyer about her intentions related to a listing we've shown her twice. Explained the comps we gave her on the home so that she could discuss a potential offer price with her spouse. (Hope I don't see the house go pending today while they're still mulling it over.)
- Emailed an agent with buyer's feedback on a showing.
- Emailed yet another agent with another buyer's feedback on a showing.
- Watched more CDPE course sessions streamed on my ROKU at home.
- Received my new Illinois Broker's License in the mail. Turned it in to Managing Broker.
- Designed and ordered new business cards.
- Caught up on communications with expired listings after last week's vacation.
- Talked with an agent from Central Illinois about a referral he is sending me for a seller in my territory; called the referred seller to set an appointment to see her house.
- Added summer images of the exterior of one of my listings to the MLS and other sites to freshen it up visually.
- Sent "Happy Anniversary in Your New Home" cards to last May's buyers.
- Re-aligned the prices on a client's automatic MLS listing cart to reflect his new, lower, price range.
- Added new customer names to my email newsletter list.
- Bought St. Joseph real estate kits at the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows.
- Designed a new direct mail piece focusing on Just Sold listings.
- Received shipment on my new Buyer Agency brochure for use at open houses.
- Added MLS photos to a new listing. Planted a "For Sale" sign in front of the new listing and put a lockbox on the door.
- Created an address-specific website for new listing.
- Checked the MLS for new listings, closings, pendings to keep up to date on the market.
- Visited with a couple who want to sell their home and move to a villa near relatives. Prepared comps and am headed out tonight to list the home.
Wonder when I'll find time to have that Martini and the cucumber spa treatment we lazy high-end Realtors get every Tuesday?
Friends, THIS is the typical day of an active Realtor.
And how was your day?
Enjoy life in the (618) area code in Southwestern Illinois, St. Louis' Illinois suburbs. SEARCH FOR HOMES HERE.
LIKE MY BLOG? PLEASE SUBSCRIBE HERE.
I help good people buy and sell good homes in St. Louis' Illinois suburbs, with special emphasis on the Metro East communities of Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, Maryville, Collinsville, Troy and surrounding areas in Madison County, Illinois.
Are you a teacher, firefighter, law enforcement officer, medical professional or active duty or retired military? Then ask me about Homes for Heroes, offering substantial savings on home purchases. Learn more at Homes For Heroes.
For more information or to search for homes, visit my sites at NancyMilton.com, 618Life.com, or GoshenRealtyGroup.com or send an email to me at Nancy@GoshenRealtyGroup.com. Text or call Nancy Milton Holtzscher, your Edwardsville Realtor, at 618-791-8007 any time.
REMAX Preferred Partners is located at One 157 Center, Edwardsville, IL 62025, 618-791-8007 (direct) 618-655-1188 (office). We're easy to find on IL-157 in Edwardsville between Pasta House Co. and Shenanigans. Each office is independently owned and operated.